Scientific research of JSC "Geography and water safety institute " is of both fundamental and practical importance.
Results of fundamental and applied research
Research by the Institute of Geography and Water Security is associated with scientific support for geopolitical, water management, socio-economic and environmental aspects of sustainable development of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The main direction of the Institute's research in the field of water security is the substantiation of strategic measures for sustainable water supply to the population, production, nature of the regions of the republic in the context of expected climatic changes in water resources and economic impacts on transboundary flow from the territories of neighboring states.
Achievements obtained as a result of research over the years of development of sovereign Kazakhstan in the field of water resources:
- Conceptual bases for ensuring water security of natural and economic systems of Kazakhstan, methods for assessing water supply scenarios in the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- On behalf of the Government, the Institute of Geography carried out an expert substantiation of the need for design and construction of the Koksaray reservoir (Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 944 of 23.08.2005).
- On the problems of assessing water resources and water supply in Kazakhstan. The research results were reported at the meeting of the Security Council on 03/06/2012 and received approval. For the first time in Kazakhstan and throughout the post-Soviet space, the research results are presented in a 30-volume monograph.
- The Institute has completed major scientific and technical programs: "Water security of the Republic of Kazakhstan: geospatial information system" Water resources of Kazakhstan and their use "(2014-2016); "Water security of the Republic of Kazakhstan - strategy for sustainable water supply" (2015-2017) in accordance with the decision of the Security Council of the Republic of Kazakhstan Protocol of March 06, 2012 No.
- In recent years, the Institute of Geography and Water Security has been carrying out a number of scientific and technical projects under an agreement with the Committee of Water Resources of the Ministry of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources of Kazakhstan (tender task):
"Development of the Atlas of Lakes" (2016-2019),
"Assessment and forecast of water supply of the natural and economic system of the Ertis basin, taking into account the prospects for agricultural development of the territory and inter-basin redistribution of water resources" (2017-2018),
"Development of passports of the rivers of Kazakhstan" (2019-2021).
- By order of LLP "Kazakhstan Agency of Applied Ecology", the Institute was the executor of the program "Assessment of water resources of tributaries of the Eastern Balkash, taking into account the spatial and temporal variability of meteorological characteristics" (2017–2018)
- Currently, the Institute for the priority direction of the development of science "National Security and Defense" is implementing a large scientific and technical program "Transboundary river basins of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the People's Republic of China: scientific and applied foundations of sustainable water supply to the population and economy in the context of climate change and economic activity. for the period up to 2050 " (2018-2020) (Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 370 dated June 22, 2018).
- The Institute carries out responsible work on scientific support of the negotiation process on interstate water allocation with the PRC in the basins of the Ile and Ertis transboundary rivers (on an ongoing basis);
- Theory and methods for calculating the components of the water-ice balance of inland glacial systems, the methodology for forecasting the dynamics of glacial systems, taking into account the likely climate changes;
- Creation of unified catalogs of glaciers of the Northern Tien Shan;
- The results of a large block of work related to the study of snow and ice resources in Kazakhstan and neighboring countries of Central Asia were recognized by leading foreign experts, which served as the basis for the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and UNESCO dated 05/29/2012 to create 05/28/2020 under Institute of Geography and Water Security of the Central Asian Regional Glaciological Center under the auspices of UNESCO.
- 30-volume monograph "Water Resources of Kazakhstan: Assessment, Forecast, Management", designed for forecasting, planning, design and operational management of water resources;
- Hydroecological substantiation of counter-regulation of the Syrdariya river flow in the Kazakh part of the Aral Sea basin, implemented in the project for the construction of the Koksaray reservoir;
- Hydrological substantiation of integrated water resources management in the Syrdaria delta, used in projects for the reconstruction of delta lake systems and water infrastructure;
- Methodology for interstate water allocation in the transboundary basin of the river. Ile between the Republic of Kazakhstan and the People's Republic of China;
- Scientific support of the negotiation process on interstate water allocation with the PRC in the basins of the Ile and Ertis transboundary rivers;
- Creation of the Central Asian Regional Glaciological Center under the auspices of UNESCO.
In the field of hazardous natural processes
- Theory and methods of assessment and mapping of natural hazards and risks;
- Theoretical foundations, criteria and methods for assessing and mapping natural hazards - mudflows, avalanches, landslides, floods and other extreme hydrometeorological phenomena;
• The conditions and risks of catastrophic floods of the Esil VHB have been determined. The zones of flooding of riverside areas exposed to flood waters at different water levels have been determined;
- A methodology has been developed and the degree of mudflow risk in Ile Alatau has been assessed at present and in the future, taking into account plans for economic development of the territory.
• Atlas of natural and man-made hazards and risks of emergency situations in the Republic of Kazakhstan:
• The laboratory of natural hazards, on the instructions of the Department for Emergency Situations of Almaty city, compiled maps of mudflow hazard and mudflow risk for the basins of the rivers Kishi Almaty, Ulken Almaty, Kargaly and Aksai (2018-2019). These works were awarded the National Prize of the Russian Geographical Society "Crystal Compass" for 2019;
• Monitoring of mudflow hazard in the Central part of the Ile-Alatau.
In the field of geographic Research work
Large demanded studies on life safety, desertification and land degradation have been carried out:
- Strategy and action plan for combating –desertification;
- Theoretical and methodological foundations of optimization of the geographical environment and rational nature management;
- Methods for calculating and mapping indicators of anthropogenic impact and landscape and ecological state of the regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan for solving urgent problems of sustainable development of natural and economic systems;
- Landscape and ecological foundations for ensuring food security in Kazakhstan;
- Theoretical and methodological foundations of the organization of the management system of ecological and demographic processes in the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- Conceptual framework for managing land degradation processes in Kazakhstan;
- Zoning the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan according to the favorable natural conditions for population resettlement;
- Research to ensure sustainable development of the environment, the development of integrated approaches and tools for sustainable management of natural resource potential and functional zoning of the Ile-Balkash and Aral-Syrdarya project lands, and atlases of the regions were compiled;
- Monitoring studies of unfavorable exogeodynamic processes in the coastal zone of Lake Alakol - a territory of intensive recreational development;
- The first in the Republic "State catalog of geographical names" was created in all regions, containing a systematized, unified bank of toponymic data of geographical objects.
- Web-application for management of pasture resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan, http://pastures.info.gf/.
In the field of atlas and web mapping:
• Developed theoretical and methodological foundations for atlas mapping of the Republic of Kazakhstan at the national, sectoral and regional levels;
- Created and published:
National Atlas of the Republic of Kazakhstan in three volumes in Kazakh, Russian and English, regional and sectoral atlases of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
Regional atlases of Mangistau (in Kazakh, Russian and English), Atyrau regions;
Atlas of natural and man-made hazards and risks of emergency situations in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- A geospatial web application “Kazakhstan Climate Change” has been developed and published on the open geoportal of the Institute “Sustainable water and resource provision of the Republic of Kazakhstan”, which will contribute to the development of solutions for adaptation to climate change through visualization and spatial analysis of changes in the main climatic and agroclimatic climate indicators Kazakhstan and adjacent territories of transboundary river basins;
- Based on the results of the project on the creation of the Atlas of Lakes of the Republic of Kazakhstan, a geospatial web application “E-Lake” was developed to improve the efficiency of water resources use in Kazakhstan. General access to the web application will be provided on the geoportal of the Institute for Sustainable Water Resources in the Republic of Kazakhstan.