Head of the Department – Candidate of Geographical Sciences
Tursunova Aisulu Alashevna
Brief history of the laboratory. Laboratory of Water Resources within the structure of the Institute of Geography was established in 2005 on the basis of laboratories (groups): hydrology, limnology, environmental protection, water and environmental problems.
The basis for the creation of the laboratory was the aggravation of hydroecological problems in the world associated with the exhaustion and pollution of freshwater resources. In different years the laboratory was headed by famous water workers of Kazakhstan; prof., dr.t.s, Tursunov Abai Abdurakhmanovich, prof. of dr.g.s. Dostai Zhakyp Dostaevich, c.g.s. Alimkulov Sayat K.
The laboratory has worked out and is developing an anthropocentric concept of hydroecology, which studies the area of relationship between society and natural water of dryland in order to harmonize and optimize those relations. Within the framework of that concept, a wide range of works on governmental programmes of basic researches, as well as on economic agreements and international projects, is performed.
Main areas of scientific researches:
- Problems of management of hydroecological state of inland basins of Central Asia.
- Problems of assessment and forecast of water resources of Kazakhstan in view of climatic changes and economic activity.
- Problems of interstate use and protection of water resources of transboundary basins of Kazakhstan.
There are 16 employees, including 2 Candidates of Geographical Sciences, 1 PhD, 4 staff scientists, 5 junior staff scientists, 3 leading engineers working at the laboratory at present. Also 3 employees are PhD students in the Kazakhstan universities.
Provision of the laboratory with instruments and equipment. The Laboratory has a base station for monitoring (Arkhar township, and also a modern stock of PCs of IBM РС type, hydrometric propellers. GR-99 – 1998, GR-21 – 1998, level-theodolite NT-500 – 2001, optical level SAL 32ND, level indicator, digital theodolite NIKON (Japan) Ni-103, laser range finder Leica Disto D5 (9031803800), boats «Kazanka» and «Ob», outboard boat motor (kicker) YAMAHA 40 XMHS produced in Japan, motor for a boat OBM HONDA (15 h.p.) (4-stroke) BF15SHD, weather station Davis Vantage 6250, acoustic Doppler RioGrandeWRZH 1200 produced in the USA, software to work with the appropriate equipment, vehicle Mitsubishi L-200-IV 4WD VIN MMCJNKB40BDZ24012, as well as special field equipment for field works: tents, sleeping mats, life jackets, lights, uniforms, footwear and etc.
Acoustic Doppler, US production
Quadcopter DJI Phantom 4 pro
Sientific results obtained:
- Assessment of water resources of transboundary basins of Kazakhstan taking into account climate change and increasing anthropogenic loads, is provided. It is pointed that in future, a reduce of resources of transboundary runoff is expected in the Republic in connection with economic activity in border countries. Additional challenge to sustainable water provision of the Republic creates probable reduce of local runoff as a result of global and regional climate changes.
- Character of interrelationship of circulating processes in the atmosphere and water recourses in river basins is determined (by example of river basins of South and South-East of Kazakhstan).
- Concept of sustainable water provision of regional natural-economic system of Ile-Balkash basin is worked out .
- On the base of accepted documents by international watercourses, there were recommended principles of interstate apportioning of water in transboundary basin of Ile river in maximal degree taking into account interests of Kazakhstan. And it was suggested to consider Lake Balhash as independent object of interstate importance.
- Analysis of the efficiency of function of Kapshagai water storage basin is provided. It is determined that filling it up to the projected point (485 m) is not possible without considerable damages to economy of lower reaches of the river and Lake Balhash. Water-economic efficiency of the reduction of water storage level up to 457m (at the expense of nonproductive losses of water, the damage will be reduced up to 1,5 km3 in the zones of flooding) is confirmed. Suggestions for seasonal-yearly contrregulation of the Ile river runoff for the purposes of restoration of natural hydrological mode in low reaches and saving of maximal functions of hydropower station are provided. A variant of cross section (Kulanbas-2) producing minimal damage to natural complex of the Ile river floodplain with minimum of unproductive losses of water is suggested.
- A simulation model of dynamic of water economic balance of the Ile-Balkash basin for study of spatial-temporal distribution of deficiency and excess of water resources and also for determination of indicators of level and salinity of Balkash Lake, are developed. Hereby, there was created a tool for study of efficiency of realization of water-economic programs and creation of rules of management of function of water-economic system of interstate importance.
- On the base of recommendations of the Institute of Geography by decision of the Commission for Environmental Protection and Rational Use of Natural Resources of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, there was made a decision about limitation of filling the Kapshagai storage reservoir up to 475,0 m instead of the projected 485 m; about the limitation of the area of irrigated lands by 600 000 hectares instead of planned 1 000 000 hectares; about regulation of the water level in Balkash Lake by points 341,5 m (in average high-water conditions) and 340,5 m (in conditions of low water).
The laboratory is actively involved in the implementation of programmes of basic researches (PBR) and scientific-practical works on contractual projects:
►2011–2013. «Transboundary rivers of Kazakhstan», a scientific and practical work, the large-scale studies on the implementation of main trends of technical works on water allocation in transboundary rivers of Ile and Ertis under the agreement with the Committee of Water Resources of the Ministry of Agriculture are conducted jointly with the Chinese scientists.
►2014-2016. Water security of The Republic of Kazakhstan: Geospatial Information System “Water resources of Kazakhstan and their usage” for the task «River runoff resources: retrospective and prospective state». Scientific Coordinator – d.g.s. Zh. D. Dostai
►2015-2017 “Current changes in the water regime of the rivers of the South-East of Kazakhstan and their promising state for 2020–2050”, executed within the framework of grant financing (D.2015) MES RK. Scientific supervisor of the project: с.g.s. Alimkulov S.K.
►2015-2017 “The hydrological basis for preserving wetland ecosystems and enhancing the resource potential of the delta. Ile”, executed within the framework of grant financing (D.2015) MES RK. Project Scientific Leader: Dr.g.s, Prof. Zh. D. Dostai.
►2016-2018 scientific and technical project "Development of the Atlas of the Lakes", under an agreement with the Water Resources Committee of the Ministry of Agriculture. Scientific assignment of the task: с.g.s. Alimkulov S.K.
►2017–2018 the program “Assessment of the water resources of the tributaries of the Eastern Balkhash taking into account the spatial and temporal variability of meteorological characteristics”. Project Scientific Leader: с.g.s. Alimkulov S.K., Customer: "Kazakhstan Agency of Applied Ecology" LLP.
►2018–2020 the program Transboundary River Basins of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the People’s Republic of China: scientific and applied foundations for sustainable water supply of the population and economy in the context of climate change and economic activities for the period up to 2050 under subprogramme 3 River flow resources in the transboundary basins of the Ile and Ertis rivers in a changing climate and the growth of anthropogenic loads, under an agreement with the MES RK. Scientific supervisor of the subprogram: с.g.s. Alimkulov S.K.
►2017–2019 the program: 254 "Effective water resources management" subprogram: 103 "Protection and rational use of water resources" under the theme "Assessment and Forecast of Water Supply for the Natural-Economic System of the Ertis Basin with Consideration of Prospects for Agricultural Development of the Territory and Interbasin Redistribution of Water Resources", under an agreement with the Water Resources Committee of the Ministry of Agriculture. Scientific supervisor of the project: с.g.s. Alimkulov S.K.
►2019–2021 under the program: 254 "Effective management of water resources" subprogram: 103 "Protection and rational use of water resources" "Development of the passport of the rivers of Kazakhstan" under an agreement with the Committee of Water Resources of the Ministry of Agriculture. Scientific supervisor of the project: c.g.s. Alimkulov S.K.
- The Justin Libich University, Giessen, Germany.
- The St-Petersburg State Polytechnical University, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- The Russian State Hydrometeorological University, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- The Russian State Hydrological Institute (RSHI), St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Tashkent Institute of Irrigation and Agricultural Mechanization, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- The Institute of Ecology and Geographyof the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Urumqi.
- The Institute of Water Problems of the National Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan.
- The Uzbek National University after Ulugbek, Tashkent.
- The Institute of Geography of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Laboratory of Hydrology and Climatology, Moscow.
- Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (isotope hydrology), Krakow, Poland
Prospecs of the development:
- Study of fundamental and applied aspects of hydrology by security of water safety of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Assessment and prospective (prognosis) condition of surface of water resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Study of dangerous hydrological phenomena at water objects of the Republic of Kazakhstan with the intention of prevention in future
- Transboundary aspects of apportioning of water of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The results of the implementation of scientific researches (problematic issues in accordance with the Strategy «Kazakhstan-2050»)
The results of the Institute's work on water range of problems for the last 3 years were published in 30-volume monograph «Water resources of Kazakhstan: estimation, prediction, management», transferred for use to the state administration agencies, planning and designing organizations. In pursuance of the tasks of the President of Kazakhstan, the results of works are used in the development of long-term state programme «Water resources management till 2050»
2011–2013. «Transboundary rivers of Kazakhstan», a scientific and practical work, in which large-scale studies on the implementation of main trends of technical works on water allocation in transboundary rivers of Ile and Ertis are conducted jointly with Chinese scientists. The obtained results of intermediate studies are provided to the Kazakhstan-China Joint Commission on the use and protection of transboundary rivers between Kazakhstan and China at the 10th meeting of this commission (January 15-17, 2013), and approved by it. They are also transferred to the coordinator of works of the Kazakhstan's group of experts of the working group - the Committee for Water Resources of the MEP of the RK.
More than 200 articles, monographs in Kazakh, Russian, English, German and Chinese in publications of Kazakhstan, CIS and foreign countries are written and published by the staff members.
- Tursunov Abai A., Makhpir Zhappar. An introduction to hydroecology in Central Asia. -China: Science Press, 1996, 213 pp.
- Tursunov A. A. From Aral to Lobnop, 2002. Almaty, "Verena", 384 p.
- Problems of hydroecological sustainability in the basin of Lake Balkash (a team of authors, edited by A. Samakova, part I - 584 p., Part II - 586 p.). Almaty: Kaganat, 2003-2004.
- Dostai Zh.D. Management of the hydroecosystem of the Lake Balkash basin. Almaty, 2009. 236 p
- Dostai Zh.D., Tursunova Ais.A. Problems of Kazakh-Chinese interstate water relations: assessment of the state and solutions // Dnepropetrovsk Scientific Bulletin. 2010. №. 1 (104). S. 40-50.
- Dostayuly Zh. General Hydrology. Almaty: Karasai, 2011.280 b.
- Water resources of Kazakhstan: assessment, forecast, management. Volume VII. River flow resources of Kazakhstan. Book 2: Renewable resources of surface waters in the south and southeast of Kazakhstan / Dostai Zh.D., Alimkulov S.K., Saparova A.A. - Almaty, 2012 - 360 p.
- Water resources of Kazakhstan: estimation, prediction, management. V. 2. Natural waters of Kazakhstan: resources, regime, quality and forecast / Dostai Zh.D. – Almaty, 2012. – p. 330.
- Water resources of Kazakhstan: estimation, prediction, management. V. 7. Resources of the river runoff of Kazakhstan. Book 2. Renewable resources of surface waters of south and south-east of Kazakhstan/ Dostai Zh.D., Alimkulov S.K., Saparova A.A. – Almaty, 2012. – p. 360
- Alimkulov S.K., Tursunova A.A., Saparova A.A., Zagidullina A.R. Water resources of river runoff of the Southern regions of Kazakhstan: retrospective state, patterns and distribution // Materials Intrnational Scientific-Practical Conference devoted to the summing-up of the “Water for Life” decade by the United Nations. Almaty, Kazakhstan, September 22-24, 2016. – Volume 3. – P. 25-35.
- Dostay S. Alimkulov A. Tursunova Modern hydrological status estuary of Ili River Arabian Journal of Geosciences, DOI 10.1007/s12517-012-0561-2 Published online: 11 April 2012 ORIGINAL PAPER Impact factor 1,141
- Tursunova, A. The interrelation of circulation processes in the atmosphere by B. L. Dzerdzeyevskiy with the change of runoff in the basins of rivers of South Kazakhstan / A. Tursunova / Applied Water Science. – Springer, 2015. – 10 p. Online: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13201-015-0272-4 – Published online: 06 March 2015 – DOI 10.1007/s13201-015-0272-4
- Dostai Zh.D., Dostaeva A.Zh., Tursunova A.A. Extreme hydrological phenomena in Kazakhstan // The role of geography in the study and prevention of natural and anthropogenic natural phenomena in the CIS and Georgia. - Moscow, 2015 .-- S. 160-169.
- Tursunov A., Romanova S., Myrzakhmetov A. Analysis of the Current Situation and Tendencies of Further Development of Worldwide and Local Science «Safety of Water » // International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology. - - Volume 3, Issue 2. - IF 1.895. - Р. 263-266. (Quoted from ISRAJIF)
- Myrzakhmetov A., Dostay Zh., Alimkulov S., Madibekov A. Level regime of Balkhash lake as the indicator of the state of the environmental ecosystems of the region // International Journal of Advanced Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. (ISRAJIF 0.537)– September 2017. - Vol. 4, Issue 9. – P. 4554-4563
- Petr Andreevich Plekhanov, Nadira Nusupkyzy Medeu. Extreme Hydrological Phenomena in the Esil River Basin:Genesis, General Patterns of Manifestation// Journal of Ecological Engineering Volume 20, Issue 7, July 2019, pages 187–195.
Expeditions and field researches.
«ARKHAR» monitoring station, which was organized in the second part of 1986 in Arkhar village of Almaty region in the delta of Ile river, is working for experimental hydroecological and meteorological monitoring on the base of the Department.
Field research on the project "Assessment of water resources of the East Balkash tributaries, taking into account the spatial and temporal variability of meteorological characteristics"
Date of travel: 21 June to 29 June 2018
The composition of the research group: the Laboratory of the "Water resources": 1) the researcher - Kulebaev K.M., 2) The researcher - Smagulov J.J., 3) the driver - Nurbayev N.
The purpose of the field research was to obtain full-scale data on the quantitative characteristics of water bodies to assess the channel water balance of the rivers of the Northern slope of the Zhetysu Alatau, at the exit of rivers from the mountains to the mouths.
- Reconnaissance survey of the basins of the East Balkash tributaries;
- Discharge measurements of East Balkash tributaries to determine channel losses.
River Karatal Ushtobe gauging station
Upper hydroelectric complex of the Lepsa river
Working with the DJI Phantom 4 pro drone
Field research on the project "Assessment and forecast of water supply of the natural and economic system of the Ertis basin, taking into account the prospects of agricultural development of the territory and inter-basin redistribution of water resources"
Date of travel: 05 July to 29 July 2018
The composition of the research group:
The Laboratory "Water resources": 1) the researcher Kulebaev K. M., 2) the researcher Smagulov J. J. 3) the driver Manapov S. T.
The Laboratory of Water Supply for Natural Economic Systems and Mathematical Modeling: 1) the Senior Researcher Tairov A.Z.
The purpose : obtain field data on the quantitative characteristics of water bodies for assessing the channel water balance; selection and preparation of the site for the organization of future water balance studies.
- Reconnaissance survey of the basins of the left-bank tributaries of the Ertis river;
- Measurement of water discharge of the Ertis river tributaries to determine channel losses
- Reconnaissance survey and determination of the boundaries of the floodplain areas of the lower Ertis
Measurement of water flow in the river Ulken Boken
Ertis river delta