Department of Water Resources was founded in the structure of the Institute of Geography in 2005 on the base of the groups of hydrology, limnology, environmental protection, water-ecological problems.
Base for the Department's creation was an escalation of hydro-ecological problems in the world connected with exhaustion and pollution of fresh water resources. Anthropocentric concept of hydroecology, subject of which is the area of interaction of society and natural land waters with the aim of harmonization and optimization of their relations, is worked out and being developed in the Department. In the framework of the present concept, a wide range of works is worked out by the state programs of fundamental researches as well as cost accounting contracts and international projects.
- Development of theory and methods of hydrogeological calculations for assessment and prognosis of water resources
- Development of theory and methods of hydrological calculations for assessment and prognosis of extreme hydrological phenomena (maximal and minimal levels of runoff, high water and low water as well as prognosis and perspectives
- Theoretical and applied questions of international apportioning of water of transboundary basins of Kazakhstan
- System of study of modern condition of water resources, mode and quality of waters of natural and artificial water bodies with the assessment of their potential as a source of water supply of economy branches, population of the country, gaining of bio-resources and correspondence to conditions of provision of ecological safety of water basins in the country.
11 employees, including 1 Doctor of Geographical Sciences, 1 Candidate of Geographical Sciences, 1 PhD, 2 research workers, 3 junior research workers, 3 lead engineers work in the Department. There are 3 certified employees in the Department, who studied in Saint-Petersburg on the «Hydro-calculations» program.
Scientific results obtained:
- Assessment of water resources of transboundary basins of Kazakhstan taking into account climate change and increasing anthropogenic loads, is provided. It is pointed that in future, a reduce of resources of transboundary runoff is expected in the Republic in connection with economic activity in border countries. Additional challenge to sustainable water provision of the Republic creates probable reduce of local runoff as a result of global and regional climate changes.
- Character of interrelationship of circulating processes in the atmosphere and water recourses in river basins is determined (by example of river basins of South and South-East of Kazakhstan).
- Concept of sustainable water provision of regional natural-economic system of Ile-Balkash basin is worked out .
- On the base of accepted documents by international watercourses, there were recommended principles of interstate apportioning of water in transboundary basin of Ile river in maximal degree taking into account interests of Kazakhstan. And it was suggested to consider Lake Balhash as independent object of interstate importance.
- Analysis of the efficiency of function of Kapshagai water storage basin is provided. It is determined that filling it up to the projected point (485 m) is not possible without considerable damages to economy of lower reaches of the river and Lake Balhash. Water-economic efficiency of the reduction of water storage level up to 457m (at the expense of nonproductive losses of water, the damage will be reduced up to 1,5 km3 in the zones of flooding) is confirmed. Suggestions for seasonal-yearly contrregulation of the Ile river runoff for the purposes of restoration of natural hydrological mode in low reaches and saving of maximal functions of hydropower station are provided. A variant of cross section (Kulanbas-2) producing minimal damage to natural complex of the Ile river floodplain with minimum of unproductive losses of water is suggested.
- A simulation model of dynamic of water economic balance of the Ile-Balkash basin for study of spatial-temporal distribution of deficiency and excess of water resources and also for determination of indicators of level and salinity of Balkash Lake, are developed. Hereby, there was created a tool for study of efficiency of realization of water-economic programs and creation of rules of management of function of water-economic system of interstate importance.
- On the base of recommendations of the Institute of Geography by decision of the Commission for Environmental Protection and Rational Use of Natural Resources of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, there was made a decision about limitation of filling the Kapshagai storage reservoir up to 475,0 m instead of the projected 485 m; about the limitation of the area of irrigated lands by 600 000 hectares instead of planned 1 000 000 hectares; about regulation of the water level in Balkash Lake by points 341,5 m (in average high-water conditions) and 340,5 m (in conditions of low water).
Prospecs of the development:
- Study of fundamental and applied aspects of hydrology by security of water safety of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Assessment and prospective (prognosis) condition of surface of water resources of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Study of dangerous hydrological phenomena at water objects of the Republic of Kazakhstan with the intention of prevention in future
- Transboundary aspects of apportioning of water of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
More than 200 articles, monographs in Kazakh, Russian, German, English and Chinese languages were published by the employees in Kazakhstan and abroad.
- Problemy gidroekologicheskoi ustoichivosti v basseine ozera Balkash (kollektiv avtorov, pod redaktsiei Samakovoi A.B., chast I – 584 s., chast II – 586 s.). Almaty: Kaganat, 2003–2004.
- Dostai Zh. D. Upravleniye gidroekosistemoi basseina ozera Balkash. Almaty, 2009. 236 s.
- Dostai Zh. D., Tursunova A.A. Problemy kazakhsko-kitaiskih mezhgosudarstvennyh vodnyh otnosheniy: otsenka sostoyaniya I puti resheniya // Dnepropetrovskiy nauchnyi vestnik. 2010. №1(104). S. 40-50.
- Dostaiuly ZH. Zhalpy gidrologiya. Almaty: Karasai, 2011. 280 b.
- Vodnyye resursy Kazakhstana: otsenka, prognoz, upravleniye. Tom II. Prirodnye vody Kazakhstana: resursy, rezhim, kachastvo I prognoz / Dostai Zh. D. – Almaty, 2012 g. -330 s.
- ВVodnyye resursy Kazakhstana: otsenka, prognoz, upravleniye. Tom VII. Resursy rechnogo stoka Kazakhstana. Kn.2 : Vozobnovlyzemye resursy poverhnostnyh vod yuga I yugo-vostoka Kazakhstana/ Dostai Zh. D., Alimkulov S.K., Saparova A.A. – 2012 g. – 360 s.
- Tursunov Abay A., Mahpir Jappar. An introduction to hydro-ecology in Central Asia.-China: Science Press, 1996, 213 p.
Expeditions and field researches.
«ARKHAR» monitoring station, which was organized in the second part of 1986 in Arkhar village of Almaty region in the delta of Ile river, is working for experimental hydroecological and meteorological monitoring on the base of the Department.
Acoustic Doppler profilograph RioGrande WRZH 1200, made in the USA, and Meteostation Davis Vantage 6250, based in «Arkhar» in the Ile river delta
Ile river delta