|Head of the Laboratory – Kamshat Baratovna Yegemberdiyeva, Candidate of Geographical Sciences
History of the Laboratory
Subject studies of the problems of recreation and tourism have been conducted at the Institute of Geography since 1996, and until 2003 they were led by V.I. Popov, Cand. of Geogr. Sc. In 2003, the Laboratory of Recreational Geography was merged with the Laboratory of Mountain Areas Geoecology under the supervision of V.P. Blagoveshchenskiy, Dr. of Geogr. Sc., and was named the Laboratory of Mountain Area Geoecology and Recreational Geography. In 2008, the Laboratory of Tourism and Recreation Geography was formed due to the expansion of the scope and quantity of work. Scientific studies of the theoretical, methodological, experimental and applied nature are conducted at the laboratory within the framework of budget, target and grant (domestic and foreign) funding, as well as work experience internship for undergraduate and graduate students in the “Tourism” specialty was organized.
1) Study of theoretical and methodological bases of the development and management of the tourism industry;
2) Development of the cadastre of nature, cultural-historical and socio-economic tourist facilities of Kazakhstan;
3) Introduction and development of information support for the implementation of the national and regional programs for the development of the tourism industry in Kazakhstan;
4) Study of ecological tourism as a factor of sustainable development of tourism in Kazakhstan.
Currently, 7 employees work at the laboratory, including 4 Candidates of Sciences and 3 Masters. The specialists have international certificates confirming their competence in applying GIS technologies and materials of the Earth’s remote sensing, conducting inter- and trans-disciplinary scientific researches, developing and environmental strategy.
Scientific results obtained:
One of the major researches of the laboratory is the “Geographical support of the accelerated development of tourism in Kazakhstan” project in 2012-2014. During these works, targeted recreational studies were conducted as part of a single multi-faceted complex of works for the first time in sovereign Kazakhstan:
- methodologies were created and cartographic models of environmentally friendly recreational nature management were compiled;
- geographic tools were developed to increase the effectiveness of planning and managing recreational nature management.
The following researches at the regional level became the continuation of this project:
- “Development of scientific support for the integrated use of the tourism and recreation potential of Central Kazakhstan” in 2012-2014:
- the natural-resource, cultural-historical and socio-economic potential for the development of recreational-tourist complexes in Central Kazakhstan was assessed;
- a model of information-analytical base of geodata affecting the development of recreation and tourism in Central Kazakhstan was developed;
- recommendations and proposals for the development of the tourist complex in Central Kazakhstan were developed.
- “Development of passports of unique natural sites of the Mangystau region” in 2015-2017. In 2016, on the order of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management of the Mangystau region, the laboratory performed scientific research work on the development of passports of unique natural sites and complexes of the region. The main results of the Project are:
- passports of 124 natural sites and complexes of the region were developed. The passports can be found on the website of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management of the Mangystau region via the link: https://eco.mangystau.gov.kz/ru/map;
- the “Mangystau, a land that fascinates the imagination” monograph was published in Kazakh, English and Russian languages;
- a 13-minute popular-science film about natural wealth and cultural-historical richness of the region was prepared in Kazakh, English and Russian;
- tourist routes in 3D format, loaded on a separately developed site, were created.
- “Scientific and applied bases of tourism resources management based on WEB-technologies using the example of North Kazakhstan” in 2018-2020. Currently, the laboratory staff is implementing a project on grant financing on the order of the Science Committee of the Ministry of Education and Science of Republic of Kazakhstan. As a result of the work, an interactive map of tourist facilities will be created on the basis of an assessment of the tourist resource of North Kazakhstan (on the example of the Akmola region) using Web-technologies and geographic information systems. The map will make it possible to determine the strategic directions of development of the regional tourism industry, and will contribute to the popularization of the region and the expansion of the flow of tourists.
A number of projects were also implemented:
- on integrated environmental studies on the territory of the Shchuchinsk-Borovoye Resort Area to determine ways of sustainable development (MEP RK);
- on the development of the scientific study of the Turkestan State National Nature Park and the Kyzylkum State Nature Reserve (World Wildlife Fund (WWF);
- on the development of the scientific study for the expansion of the Sairam-Ugam State National Nature Park (“ATPG Kazakhstan” LLP);
- on the development of the Sustainable Land Use Strategy for the Ile-Balkhash and Aral-Syrdariya Project Areas (GEF/UNDP/Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan);
- on the creation of the “Ancient cities of Kazakhstan” interactive map in Kazakh, English and Russian languages (the Kazakh National Geographic Society with the support of ERG, KAZ Mineralsple and Kazakhmys Corporation LLP);
- on the development of a scientific-technical substantiation of the maximum possible options for Eurasian transit through the territory of Kazakhstan (SC MES RK);
- on creation of the “People of Kazakhstan” scientific interactive historical map (SC MES RK) (the map can be found on the website of the Assembly of People of Kazakhstan via the link: http://assembly.kz/ru);
- on the development of methodology for mapping and creating a database of the health-improvement and tourism-recreational resource potential of the Atlas of Lakes (Committee on Water Resources of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan).
Currently, an integrated assessment of the ecosystems of the Shchuchinsk-Borovoye Resort Area is being carried out with the determination of the environmental load in order to sustainably use the recreational potential (SC MES RK).
The scientific works of the staff is related to new areas of theoretical-methodological and applied researches, which are important for the development of the tourism industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan. They include:
1) development of the theoretical-methodological bases of the study of the tourism industry with the use of best practices, including development of methods for assessing tourist potential, determining recreational capacity and permissible recreational loads;
2) development of Strategies and Concepts for the development of tourism in the country and/or regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
3) development of scientific and feasibility studies for the creation and/or expansion of specially protected nature areas;
4) monitoring of tourism-recreational load in the territories of the Republic of Kazakhstan, which have valuable tourism-recreational value;
5) development of passports of nature, cultural-historical and socio-economic tourism facilities of Kazakhstan in a single database (cadastre);
6) development of reference tourist routes at the national, regional and local levels;
6) creation of a national Tourist Atlas on the basis of a single cadastre of tourism facilities of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
7) GIS- and Web-support (interactive tourism map) in order to increase and develop productivity by automating researches in the tourism industry and popularizing the regions of Kazakhstan on a global scale.
- Yegemberdiyeva K.B. Geographical aspects of recreational zoning of the Kazakhstan part of the Caspian region// Bulletin of KazNU. Geographical series №1(38). – Almaty: “Kazakh University”, 2014. – P.30-37 (in Kazakh).
- Plokhikh R.V., Kelinbayeva R.Zh., Sagyn D. Historical-cultural potential of the development of tourism in Central Kazakhstan // “Geography and Nature” national scientific-pedagogical journal. – 2015. – №3 (May-June). – P. 11–16 (in Kazakh).
- Akiyanova F.Zh., Temirbayeva R.K., Orazbekova K.S. Socio-economic aspects of nature management in the Caspian region of Kazakhstan based on functional zoning of the territory. – News of the NAS of the RK, Series of Geol. and Techn. Sciences. – № 6, 2017. – P. 127-138.
- Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Temirbayeva R.K., Kelinbayeva R.Zh., Orazbekova K.S., Khen A.P., Yushina Yu.A., Gainulla S.A. The “Unique Mangystau” expedition // Problems of Geography and Geo-ecology, Almaty, 2017 – № 4. – P. 77-85.
- Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Orazbekova K.S., Yushina Yu.A. Main stages of the development of tourist routes by types of ecological tourism (on the example of the Mangystau region) //Problems of Geography and Geo-ecology. – Almaty, 2018. – №1. – P. 89-98.
- Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Karzhaubayev K.K., Temirbayeva R.K., Kelinbayeva R.Zh., Orazbekova K.S., Khen A.P., Yushina Yu.A. Creation of a database of tourism-recreational potential (using the examples of the lakes of the Akmola region) //Problems of Geography and Geo-ecology. – Almaty, 2018. – №3. – P. 10-18.
- Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Temirbayeva R.K., Orazbekova K.S., Khen A.P. Determination of monitoring sites for the assessment of the recreational load on the ecosystem of the Shchuchinsk-Borovoye Resort Area //Problems of Geography and Geo-ecology. – Almaty, 2018. – №3. – P. 19-26.
- Yushina Yu.A., Kelinbayeva R.Zh., Khen A.P. Climatic conditions as a component of the assessment of the recreational potential of Kazakhstan lakes //Newsletter of the KazNU. Geographical series – Almaty, 2018 – Volume 51 № 4. – P.84-96.
Participation in conferences
In foreign countries:
- Dilyara Woodward, Natalya Ivanova, Kamshat Yegemberdieva, Farida Akiyanova, Il'ya Fishman. Mangistau Aspiring Geopark (Kazakhstan) //9th ProGEO Symposium. Geoheritage and Conservation: Modern Approaches and Applications Towards the 2030 Agenda. Checiny, Poland, 25-28the June, 2018. – P. 86-87.
- Yushina Yu., Yegemberdiyeva K. Assessment of tourism and recreational potential of climatic resources of the Akmola region (Kazakhstan) //XIX International Multidisciplinary Scientific GeoConference SGEM (28 June – 7 July). – 2019 (in-print).
in publications of the CIS countries:
- Plokhikh R.V. Assessment of the natural-resource potential of Central Kazakhstan for the development of recreational and tourism complexes // Region – 2013: strategy of optimal development: materials of scientific.-practical conference with international participation, November 7-8, 2013 (Kharkiv, Ukraine). – Kharkiv: Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Ukrainian Geographical Society, Taras Shevchenko Kyiv National University, Belgorod State National Research University, Kharkiv Regional Station of Young Tourists, 2013. – P. 428-430.
- Yushin Yu.V. Matrix method of recreational assessment of climate resources of the region // Student Scientific Bulletin of Russia. – 2013. – №2. – P. 324-327.
- Yushin Yu.V. Methodolody of recreational assessment of climatic resources of the tourist regions // Student interregional scientific-practical conference “Actual problems of physical culture, sport, tourism and recreation”, dedicated to the 135th anniversary of the TSU, April 25, 2013 (Tomsk, Russian Federation). – Tomsk: Faculty of Physical Culture of the Tomsk State University, 2013. – P. 88-93.
in publications of the Republic of Kazakhstan:
- Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Temirbayeva R.K. // National Scientific and Practical Conference “Conservation and Effective Management of Ecosystems as the Basis for the Transition to a Green Economy” (July 25-26 - Karkaralinsk-2013 ) Karaganda: “Glacier”, 2013. – P. 49-52.
- Kelinbayeva R.Zh. The structure of the information-analytical base for the purposes of recreational and tourism mapping // International scientific-practical conference on “Tourism and geographical regional studies in the conditions of cluster-innovative development of Kazakhstan”, April 26-27, 2013 (Almaty, Kazakhstan). – Almaty: Kazakh State Women's Pedagogical University, 2013. – P. 388-392.
- Yegemberdieva K., Kelinbayeva R., Magzom M., Orazbekova K., Temirbayeva R. Geoinformation systems in the development of interactive scientific historical map "The people of Kazakhstan" // Agenda of the GIS in Central Asia Conference – GISCA 2018 "Geoinformatics for Regional Development", June 14-17, 2018 (Almaty, Kazakhstan). (in-print).
- Temirbayeva R.K., Akiyanova .Zh., Karynbayev A.K., Ospanbayev Zh.O., Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Budnikova T.I., Sharapkhanova Zh.M. // Strategy and Action Plan for Sustainable Land Use in the Ile-Balkhash Project Area. – Astana, 2017 – p. 85. ISBN 978-601-7882-27-3.
- Temirbayeva R.K., Akiyanova Zh., Karynbayev A.K., Ospanbayev Zh.O., Yegemberdiyeva K.B., Budnikova T.I., Sharapkhanova Zh.M. // Strategy and Action Plan for Sustainable Land Use in the Aral-Syrdariya Project Area. – Astana, 2017 – p. 116. ISBN 978-601-7882-27-3.
- Akiyanova , Temirbayeva R., Karynbayev A. and Yegemberdiyeva K. Assessment of the scale, geographical distribution and diversity of pastures along the Kazakhstan’s part of the route of the great Silk Road // Book Title: Rangelands along the Silk Road: Transformative Adaptation under Climate and Global Change. (Eds.: Squires V., Shang, Ariapour). – NOVA, New York, 2017. – 389 p. ISBN 978-1-53610-612-1 (e-book).
- Zh. Akiyanova, E.I. Nurmambetov, K.B. Yegemberdiyeva, R.K. Temirbayeva, O.A. Tokzhanov et.al. Mangystau, a land that fascinates the imagination: monograph / Chief Editor A.R. Medeu; Institute of Geography. – Almaty, 2019. – p. 304. ISBN 978-601-7150-93-8. (in-print).
- Atlas of functional zoning of the Balkhash district of the Almaty region. – Astana, 2016. – p. 64. ISBN 978-601-7878-19-1.
- Atlas of functional zoning of the Kazaly district of the Kyzylorda region. – Astana, 2016. – p. 61. ISBN 978-601-7878-17-7.
- Atlas of functional zoning of the Aral district of the Kyzylorda region. – Astana, 2016. – p. 60. ISBN 978-601-7878-21-1.
Expeditions and field research
Field researches of the regions of Kazakhstan were carried out at different times within the framework of projects funded by domestic and foreign customers. Among the most important, the following ones can be highlighted:
- “Scientific and applied bases of tourism resources management based on WEB-technologies using the example of North Kazakhstan” (grant of the Science Committee of the MES RK);
- “Integrated Assessment of Ecosystems of the Shchuchinsk-Borovoye Resort Area with the determination of the environmental load for the sustainable management of recreational potential” (SC MES RK);
- “Development of passports of unique natural sites of the Mangystau region” (Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management of the Mangystau region);
- “Development of the Atlas of Lakes of Kazakhstan” (Committee on Water Resources of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan);
- “Scientific study for the expansion of the Sairam-Ugam SNNP” (“ATPG Kazakhstan” LLP);
- “Geography of ancient cities of Kazakhstan” (KNGS with the support of ERG, KAZ Mineralsple and Kazakhmys Corporation LLP);
- “Preparation of the socio-economic component of the long-term “Program for the reintroduction of tigers in the region of the floodplain of the Ile River and the South Balkhash region”(grants from the Central Asian Program of WWF (WWF Russia)/WWF Norway);
- “To carry out the description of key sites of the ecological network of the project area (the territory subordinate to the Akimats of Turkestan and the Otrar district) on the basis of the scientific development of landscape-ecological framework” (Akimat of the South Kazakhstan region);
- “To develop the scientific study of the Turkestan SNNP and the Kyzylkum Sanctuary” (WWF, FHC MoA RK);
- “Development of scientific support for the integrated use of the tourism and recreational potential of Central Kazakhstan” (SC MES RK);
- “Geographical support of the accelerated development of tourism in Kazakhstan” (SC MES RK).
Field research in the framework of the project on the “Development of passports of unique nature sites of the Mangystau region”
Field research in the framework of the project on the “Scientific study for the expansion of the Sairam-Ugam SNNP”
Territory of the Tole Bi branch of the Sairam-Ugam SNNP
Field research in the framework of the project on “Geography of ancient cities of Kazakhstan”
Field research in the framework of the project on “Development of the Atlas of Lakes of Kazakhstan”
Field research in the framework of the project on “Scientific and applied bases of management of tourism resources based on WEB-technologies using the example of North Kazakhstan”
The “Legends of the South” expedition